Many times, I get frustrated with how the pandemic is handled in my neck of the woods but after I stumbled upon an interesting article on ancient remedies that truly existed, my disposition lightened up a little. Let me explain.
In this fun article that I read, some rare and common ailments in the past were treated with unbelievable cures, including:
- Smelling farts from jars to counteract exposure to the Black Death (England in the 1600s);
- Sewing a tooth in the eye to correct corneal blindness (which is still done today in a procedure called osteo-odonto-keratoprosthesis, notably in Australia);
- Applying a range of animal shit to treat wounds and drive evil spirits out (ancient Egypt);
- Bloodletting, sometimes with the use of leeches, to balance the four major body fluids – blood, phlegm, and black and yellow biles – since illness is clearly a result of this imbalance (all over the world);
- Drinking liquid mercury to reverse aging (ancient China);
- Eating tapeworm egg pills for weight loss (Victorian era); and
- Inserting incense on the vagina to determine pregnancy, or crocodile shit for contraception (ancient Egypt).
I don’t know about you, but suddenly, I feel better with how COVID-19 is going. While things are lightyears from functional here, it could clearly, very well have been way worst. So help us God.